INFORMATION FOR PARENTS
“The Department of Education has made amendments to the 2006 regulations. These make it clear that Head Teachers may NOT grant leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. In light of these changes, parents and carers need to be aware that it will no longer be possible to authorise leave of absence unless the exceptional circumstances have been explained. Reasons such as “cheaper in term time” or “more convenient” are no longer acceptable.
Applying for Holidays
The Education (Pupil Registration) (England) Regulations 2006 and the accompanying guidance make it clear that parents/carers do not have legal right to take their child out of school for holidays in term time.
Applying for Leave of Absence
The law states that an application for leave must be in exceptional circumstances.
- Requests for leave of absence should be sent to the school by the parents the child normally lives with, no less than four weeks prior to the start of the period of absence unless there is an emergency.
- Failure to fill in a leave of absence request form may result in legal sanctions being taken against the parents(s).
- The age of your child and stage of their education.
- The length of time absence requested.
- The nature of the circumstance, such as trauma or death within the immediate family where an immediate leave of absence may help the child deal better with the situation.
- Any other exceptional reasons.
- Court orders or the involvement of other agencies.
- Previous similar requests.
- If a child’s attendance record is a concern.
- If the period coincides with the start of term, or is near to, or coincides with National Tests (SATs) or other significant events on the school calendar.
- If there are patterns of non-attendance or if there is Education Welfare Service (EWS) involvement.
- If the school have concerns over a child’s welfare and safety.
Consistency of Approach
To ensure a consistency of approach towards requests for leave of absence during term-time, Governors will sample and review requests on a termly basis.